Consultant Forensic Psychiatrist
Preparation of well researched, comprehensive and objective psychiatric reports by consultant forensic psychiatrist, Dr Nuwan Galappathie.
Based in Birmingham, Dr Nuwan Galappathie’s psychiatry expert witness service provides high-quality experienced psychiatric reports throughout UK and Ireland for solicitors, barristers and legal teams, police, probation and prison services or private individuals.
Dr Nuwan Galappathie
Consultant Forensic Psychiatrist
I have been working as a Consultant Forensic Psychiatrist since May 2009 and currently work at the Huntercombe Centre, Birmingham. I have prepared more than 1000 psychiatric reports for the Courts and regularly provide expert evidence in Court.
Experienced expert witness
I am a highly published and experienced expert witness. I’m happy to travel nationwide, and also accept urgent instructions. I have extensive experience in preparing reports for the Criminal, Civil and Family courts.
- I have completed the Bond Solon Expert Witness Criminal Certificate.
- I am a vetted member of the Expert Witness Institute (EWI).
- I am also a Tier-1 Approved Expert Witness for the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL).
Please feel free to call me to discuss your case or email me directly and I will be happy to respond to your enquiry.
My aim is to prepare psychiatric reports that are timely, well researched, comprehensive, objective and completed to the highest professional and ethical standards.
Expertise within the following Psychiatric Conditions:
- Anxiety disorders
- Panic attacks
- Paranoid schizophrenia
- Schizoaffective disorder
- Personality disorder
- Emotionally unstable personality disorder
- Bipolar Affective Disorder
- Learning disability / Intellectual impairment
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Asperger’s Syndrome
- Adjustment disorder
- Acute stress reaction
- Dissociative and conversion disorders
- Cognitive impairment
- Dementia including Alzheimer’s disease and vascular dementia
I am happy to conduct assessments at my consulting rooms in Edgbaston, Birmingham or at solicitors’ offices, prisons, IRCs, hospitals or other suitable locations. I am happy to travel nationwide and overseas.
Areas of Expertise Within Civil Cases:
- Psychiatric assessment of victims of trauma including assessment of psychiatric injury following road traffic accidents, historical sexual abuse, domestic abuse, violent assaults, work related injury or other traumas
- Psychiatric injury following violation of civil liberties or false arrest
- Psychiatric assessment of secondary victims
- Psychiatric injury within parents following birth trauma
- Psychiatric assessment of those involved within Immigration Proceedings
- Psychiatric assessment of detainees within Immigration Removal Centres
- Assessment of victims of human trafficking and modern slavery
- Impact of past trauma on the credibility of witness testimony
- Personal injury assessments
- Psychiatric assessment of victims of sexual abuse including complex abuse cases
- Assessments within care homes
- Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards / Liberty Protection Safeguards
- Capacity to manage finances, care, contact and residence
- Compensation claims
- Employment Tribunals
- First-tier Tribunal (Mental Health)
- Psychiatric assessment of parents within child custody proceedings
Areas of Expertise Within Criminal Cases:
- Fitness to plead and stand trial
- Psychiatric defenses
- Diminished responsibility
- Loss of control
- Fitness for Police interview
- Sex offenders
- Risk assessment and Dangerousness
- Community Sentences including Mental Health Treatment Requirement
- Section 35 Admission to hospital for report
- Section 36 Remand to hospital and Section 38 Interim Hospital Order
- Section 37 Hospital Order
- Section 41 Restriction Order
- Section 5(2) Criminal Procedure (Insanity) Act
- Hybrid Orders Section 45(A)
- Absolute / Conditional Discharge
- Effects of a prison sentence including immediate imprisonment on a defendant’s mental health
- Psychiatric report for the Parole Board
- Appeal cases including appeal against conviction and sentence